Skip to main content

a confession of laziness...


The past few weeks I have been awful about posting blogs. A combination of other things on my mind, weather frustrations, farm projects and planning; but I stopped today to think and realized just how many times this week I have thought of the events unfolding as if I were dictating them to you. I feel like I have distanced myself from daily writing to the point that it feels an unfamiliar and daunting task to do so. This is supposed to be fun for me, a way to share and express my life and creativity, my journey- more than anything else. Wow- an epiphany. My journey- that's what this place is for. Whatever creativity, adventures, ups, downs, friends, family, daily commitment and spells of absence or uncertainty. It's all part of the journey. But with all that said- I hope this "distant and sporadic" spell is coming to an end.

Maybe we will ease back into this with a few of the things you've been missing thanks to my laziness.

1. the seeds for the garden have been ordered 

2. the green house (20 x 10) is sitting patiently on the porch, waiting...

3. This weekend we starting leveling the spot for the aforementioned greenhouse. It still needs a little more work, and gravel.

4. We are ready to buy a business license for Luna Acres, LLC.

5. The bunnies are happy and healthy.

6. I saw two little baby goats this morning. How I can't wait for the day when we have all the spring animals running around I long for.

7. This weekend we enjoyed the beautiful weather with good friends (namely, my sister), we walked along the city green-way like civilized townspeople, which was strange to me, but the time was well spent regardless.

8. I have been loving the blog  A Bowl Full of Lemons and all of the great cleaning, organizing, and budgeting tools available. My current favorite is her daily housekeeping sheet- 7 steps (each 15 minutes or less) to keep the house looking clean all the time. Living in a big house with 4-6 people and 9 animals- combined with moderate OCD and being an overall neat freak is quite a challenge.

9. We are excited about (hopefully) being a part of two markets this spring, the Catawba Farmers Market on Thursday evenings and the Salem Farmers Market on Saturday mornings. We also plan to sell through the Good Food Good People co-op, which sets up a table at five additional local markets. We are also considering doing a limeade stand for the first year for additional income.

10. I had the most wonderful birthday of my life. Jonathan took me out to a far out of our price range but absolutely amazing restaurant, decked out in his fancy suit, with my hand-me-down gown and borrowed heels. He let me splurge on two "fliritinis" which would be more aptly named "Angela can't walk to the car in heels, just make it out the door before you go barefoot-inis", then he drove home and let me enjoy my drunken ride over the mountain. The weekend was relaxing with only a small get together of family, not a single non related guest present (not for lack of invitations, just to know who the important ones are). It was sad at first but it is certainly a sign of growing up. I wouldn't change a thing. 

Thank you sweetheart.
Amy and Christina,
Moms and Dads.


I have a truly rich life.

Until next time,
Angela Kelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a tribute to Zaphod

It has been nearly a month since the untimely death of our dearest kitty. It is late tonight, I cannot sleep and my mind is filled with grief and sorrow still. I have heard it said that loving animals is only setting oneself up for pain in the end. I may have believed it, but until now I have never felt it. Not to say that I have not lost a pet in the past, in fact several, but fortunately they had all lived long and happy lives before old age and illness took them away. This cannot be said for Zaphod. His life only lasted two short years, and it is the knowing he was meant to spend another decade with us that pains me the most.  We adopted Zaphod when he was only five weeks old, a tiny grey fuzz ball too small to eat. He refused a bottle or wet food, and we honestly worried he was not going to survive those first few days. After several trips to the vet for IV fluids and two weeks of force feeding, he accept a bowl of dry food for his first real meal, despite my

a new chapter

Things are changing around here.  I haven't even finished my cob series, but life just keeps getting in the way. Jonathan and I are currently looking for a new place to call home. Sometimes you have to accept that things aren't working, and do something different.  Unfortunately we are going to have to quit our farmers market. We are looking for homes for our animals, and selling off what we can. We will miss everyone so much, but his is a new chapter in our lives. We are excited about finding a place closer to our friends and family, where we can visit and hang out more often. We can't wait to have a house to call our own again, or an apartment, or whatever it may end up being. We haven't had a place all our own since we lived in the studio apartment just after getting back together. I think that was in 2010, whew! It hurts to have to start over, but we are trying not to be discouraged. We have confidence in ourselves and each other, and we're gonna be just fine

the point is

DISCLAIMER: This post contains material that may be considered graphic or inappropriate to some individuals. Continue at your own risk. You have been warned. Ok.Thanks.Carry on. My aunt, my dad's sister, came to stay last night. She has never stayed the night before, in fact we haven't ever seen her too much, holidays and whatnot. Several times a year. She is a nice lady, but she has some issues, we'll leave it at that. My problem is this: as soon as we arrived home last night, around 9:30 at night, after being gone since 9 that morning, the moment we see each other, the first words out of her mouth are, "you're poor bunny rabbits are freezing to death out there!" Imagine my long exasperated sigh here. Having farm animals isn't the same as having pets. I think Jon Katz said it best in a post last week, "I can give them shelter, warm water, good hay, I cannot make them comfortable or keep them warm, they accept their lives." We raise rabbits