Skip to main content

things you've been missing

the view from the second story we were building onto the cob house
I am so behind! The past few weeks have been so hectic, I just haven't had time to catch up. It doesn't help that my laptop will no longer pick up the internet, making it more difficult for me to update conveniently.  I just need to work out a new routine.

Anyways, onto some of the things you've been missing!

- We spent five days in Kentucky at Disputanta Cob, where we learned how to build a cob house from the ground up. It was an amazing trip, truly life changing for Jonathan and I. We feel so confident in our abilities to provide for our own construction needs now. I will go into more (much, much more) detail about the cob workshop in upcoming posts.

- My baby sister, Amy celebrated a birthday. She has always been my best friend in the entire world, and we are closer now than ever before. We had a cookout at her house on her birthday with my parents, then on Saturday we went to dinner at a cute little Italian restaurant with the best sorbet ever! Happy birthday sis, I love you.

- My big sister, Christina, graduated from college for the second time! She is now a physical therapists assistant, and I couldn't be more proud of her. She has gone through school while working and raising her three children, and I know that she has been stronger than I could have been (and I know, because I took the same classes and dropped out.) I'm so proud of you sis!

- One of our ducks was killed by a racoon, who was quickly taught a lesson by our dog, Dakota.

- We adopted four new ducks to even the numbers of girls to boys. One of them had a bum foot, but we welcomed her anyway. The former owners toddler son didn't take it too well, saying "she can't take Pogo!" and starting to cry. I promised him we would give her a good home, and he could visit anytime.

- Our plan backfired, we ended up with three boys (at least they are smaller than the two we already had) and one new girl, who has the bum foot. The new boys were immediately bullied by the two boy pekins, who are much much bigger. A night of hard thinking ensued.

- The two pekins were adopted by an older couple who already had three girls of the same kind. They will be spoiled rotten, I have no doubt. When I was picking them up, instead of letting me put it in the cage, the man insisted on taking it from me, holding it in his arms, stroking his head, and saying hello. I am glad they have found good homes.

- Sissy duck, our original girl rouen, whose sister was taken by the racoon, and whose "brothers" were now gone to a new home, spent the first few days very destraught. She shied away from the new group, and spent most of her time quacking in a way that I can only interpret as crying. Thankfully, she is now bonding with Pogo, the other girl (with a bum foot) after several days of forced companionship away from the boys. I hope they become friends.

- We moved our first groups of rabbits onto grass, and have four more litters of babies growing.

- The farmers market started, it was a slow start and we did not make any money, but it was great to be back. The other vendors are so great and friendly, I have found my place in the community there more than anywhere before. To make the most of our time, we are inoculating mushroom logs on site each week, which is great beacuse it draws in the customers and gives them the opportunity to learn how we do it.

- My friend Savannah's wedding is in less than a month, and we got to see the renovated venue last week, which was a bit nerve racking because the inside and deck are not finished. Thankfully they assured her that it will be ready in time, and hopefully it is. Regarless of what happens, we will work through and make the most of it. It will be beautiful and edgy and fun and just like Justin and Savannah. They are two of the most original and amazing people I know, and I am so excited to be a part of their big day!

- Our life inside, that is, work- has been rough. We have been working ourselves ragged, going above and beyond without any extra reward, pay, or recognition, while everyone else ceases to do even the most basic of tasks has been mentally and emotionally draining. We have been on the look for something else, we shall see where the road takes us...

- I almost forgot about Mother's Day. I am very fortunate to have two great moms in my life, my own and Jonathan's. Not only are they both great; supportive and loving, but like-minded and rational, but over the years since Jonathan and I met something unusual to most families somehow happened - our mom's became friends. They go swimming together weekly, talk on the phone every day after we go to work, and we can even celebrate holidays as one big family. Mother's Day was a particularly nice celebration, with both of my sisters and their families, my grandmother, and both of my great mothers.
Thank you both for being there for us, we wouldn't be where we are without you.

Well, I think that's enough for now!

Until next time,

Angela Kelly


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a tribute to Zaphod

It has been nearly a month since the untimely death of our dearest kitty. It is late tonight, I cannot sleep and my mind is filled with grief and sorrow still. I have heard it said that loving animals is only setting oneself up for pain in the end. I may have believed it, but until now I have never felt it. Not to say that I have not lost a pet in the past, in fact several, but fortunately they had all lived long and happy lives before old age and illness took them away. This cannot be said for Zaphod. His life only lasted two short years, and it is the knowing he was meant to spend another decade with us that pains me the most.  We adopted Zaphod when he was only five weeks old, a tiny grey fuzz ball too small to eat. He refused a bottle or wet food, and we honestly worried he was not going to survive those first few days. After several trips to the vet for IV fluids and two weeks of force feeding, he accept a bowl of dry food for his first real meal, despite my

a new chapter

Things are changing around here.  I haven't even finished my cob series, but life just keeps getting in the way. Jonathan and I are currently looking for a new place to call home. Sometimes you have to accept that things aren't working, and do something different.  Unfortunately we are going to have to quit our farmers market. We are looking for homes for our animals, and selling off what we can. We will miss everyone so much, but his is a new chapter in our lives. We are excited about finding a place closer to our friends and family, where we can visit and hang out more often. We can't wait to have a house to call our own again, or an apartment, or whatever it may end up being. We haven't had a place all our own since we lived in the studio apartment just after getting back together. I think that was in 2010, whew! It hurts to have to start over, but we are trying not to be discouraged. We have confidence in ourselves and each other, and we're gonna be just fine

the point is

DISCLAIMER: This post contains material that may be considered graphic or inappropriate to some individuals. Continue at your own risk. You have been warned. Ok.Thanks.Carry on. My aunt, my dad's sister, came to stay last night. She has never stayed the night before, in fact we haven't ever seen her too much, holidays and whatnot. Several times a year. She is a nice lady, but she has some issues, we'll leave it at that. My problem is this: as soon as we arrived home last night, around 9:30 at night, after being gone since 9 that morning, the moment we see each other, the first words out of her mouth are, "you're poor bunny rabbits are freezing to death out there!" Imagine my long exasperated sigh here. Having farm animals isn't the same as having pets. I think Jon Katz said it best in a post last week, "I can give them shelter, warm water, good hay, I cannot make them comfortable or keep them warm, they accept their lives." We raise rabbits