Skip to main content

turkey-lurkeys


The turkeys have been a real adventure this summer. We started them as day old pullets, and have watched them grow so much in the last several months. They aren't quite full grown yet, but they are well on their way. Some of them are quite a bit to pick up! As construction of the turkey tractor has been slow moving (to say the least), we have nearly 100 turkeys in our front yard. Well, the front yard, back yard, on the porches, in the shop, roosted on the cars. Pretty much wherever they want to be. We did get a poultrynet set up along the road, which seems to be ominous enough for the adventurers who kept crossing the busy highway. While there are many downsides to having free range yard turkeys, they are certainly entertaining. We often sit outside in the evening with a beer just watching the giant birds peck about, fluff their feathers, occasionally fight, and now even make full grown turkey calls. I am excited to have a fresh Thanksgiving turkey that I raised myself.











  
Until next time,
Angela Kelly



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

planting broccoli

Last year I was too late to start the early season plants, but not this time!  I even used my farmers almanac calender to plan the dates to start seeds!  I sure hope this broccoli grows!  It's like a little sneak peak of spring... Until next time, Angela Kelly

a few lessons in rabbit husbandry

We now have two years of experience under our belts raising rabbits. We have learned a lot of useful information already, but we are far from experts. That's the thing with farming, with raising animals, you will never be done learning. Bring it on. As of today we have 17 rabbits in our little group, and the more animals you have the more likely you are to have problems. Here are a few of ours: the girls The first problem we had is with the smallest litter we have, which we have had in a large dog crate on the grass. They are starting to get pretty big, and coming of age, they are starting to get a little frisky. This is bad news bears. I was out watching them and saw three boys ganging up on one girl, so in a hurry I fixed up a cage and moved her into it. She was visibly shaken, breathing quickly, her hair a mess with tufts pulled out (that was the first sign I saw that something was going on.) The next d...

a tribute to Zaphod

It has been nearly a month since the untimely death of our dearest kitty. It is late tonight, I cannot sleep and my mind is filled with grief and sorrow still. I have heard it said that loving animals is only setting oneself up for pain in the end. I may have believed it, but until now I have never felt it. Not to say that I have not lost a pet in the past, in fact several, but fortunately they had all lived long and happy lives before old age and illness took them away. This cannot be said for Zaphod. His life only lasted two short years, and it is the knowing he was meant to spend another decade with us that pains me the most.  We adopted Zaphod when he was only five weeks old, a tiny grey fuzz ball too small to eat. He refused a bottle or wet food, and we honestly worried he was not going to survive those first few days. After several trips to the vet for IV fluids and two weeks of force feeding, he accept a bowl of dry food for his first real meal, despite...