Skip to main content

Trilli - a mystery

This is a post I wrote a few weeks ago about our dog, Trilli.

my beautiful mystery
About six months after Jonathan and I got back together we started talking about adopting a puppy. We already had a cat we had adopted as a kitten and raised, he was about 5 months old then. Neither of us had ever had our own dog in adulthood. We made several visits to animals shelters, fell in love with a dozen pups. We were always slowed down by the processing fees, forms, etc. One weekend when we were visiting my sister, Christina, she found a lady in the area trying to get rid of some puppies. A lab husky mix. What a great combination! Two of my favorite breeds. We all rode out an unmarked country road to a tiny trailer with a small kennel poking out from the backyard. A woman came walking out the rickety front door, gestured to us, "you here for a dog?" and was halfway to the back yard before she finished the statement. When we reached the kennel I saw the smallest, scraggliest white husky I have ever laid eyes on. It didn't look much like a purebred husky, despite the owners claims. She then told us, in a rather annoyed tone of voice, that the neighbors black lab had "gotten a hold of her." This woman was obviously not happy about having a litter of mutts, despite how adorable they were.  She opened the door to the kennel, grabbed a confused looking pup by the scruff of the neck, and handed it to me. The scared dog licked my face immediately, just as sweet as can be. She was small enough to fit in my hands, with a short stubby nose and legs. She was also very fat, filled with worms. We took her straight to the vet. When we left she curled up in a blanket in my lap and went straight to sleep. As she grew, she became a beautiful dog with a slender frame, long legs, and a gorgeous brindle color with saddle markings. The mystery is, she looks nothing like a husky, or much like a lab. She barks like a hound dog. Has the hunting instincts of a killing machine. Mystery it is, we love her dearly. She is very smart, and I have just this week started training her more, working on stay and recall. We have never had well trained dogs around here. It is time consuming, but I think it will be worth it.
 
ready to go

Do you have any mystery dogs in your life?

Until next time,

Angela Kelly

Comments

  1. Your Mystery looks so much like the first dog we had after we were married. He wss a rescue, had been found with his siblings in a box at the dump when he was teeny tiny. Bottle fed by vet techs until he was old enough to come home with me. Never could figure out his breed but he was the funniest most energetic dog ever. We lost him when he was two to a sudden mystery illness. Who knows maybe Mystery and Radar were distant cousins :-)
    ( this is Tresha, Jonathans cou sin on his dads side btw)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Who knows! It's strange how that happens with dogs. Thanks for commenting! It's great to know that you're reading :) Hope all is well!
      Angela

      Delete

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to check out this space. I hope you enjoyed it. Tell me what you think, or about yourself, or what brought you to my little piece of life here, but please, don't be mean. :) Thanks for reading!

Popular posts from this blog

a tribute to Zaphod

It has been nearly a month since the untimely death of our dearest kitty. It is late tonight, I cannot sleep and my mind is filled with grief and sorrow still. I have heard it said that loving animals is only setting oneself up for pain in the end. I may have believed it, but until now I have never felt it. Not to say that I have not lost a pet in the past, in fact several, but fortunately they had all lived long and happy lives before old age and illness took them away. This cannot be said for Zaphod. His life only lasted two short years, and it is the knowing he was meant to spend another decade with us that pains me the most.  We adopted Zaphod when he was only five weeks old, a tiny grey fuzz ball too small to eat. He refused a bottle or wet food, and we honestly worried he was not going to survive those first few days. After several trips to the vet for IV fluids and two weeks of force feeding, he accept a bowl of dry food for his first real meal, despite my

a new chapter

Things are changing around here.  I haven't even finished my cob series, but life just keeps getting in the way. Jonathan and I are currently looking for a new place to call home. Sometimes you have to accept that things aren't working, and do something different.  Unfortunately we are going to have to quit our farmers market. We are looking for homes for our animals, and selling off what we can. We will miss everyone so much, but his is a new chapter in our lives. We are excited about finding a place closer to our friends and family, where we can visit and hang out more often. We can't wait to have a house to call our own again, or an apartment, or whatever it may end up being. We haven't had a place all our own since we lived in the studio apartment just after getting back together. I think that was in 2010, whew! It hurts to have to start over, but we are trying not to be discouraged. We have confidence in ourselves and each other, and we're gonna be just fine

the point is

DISCLAIMER: This post contains material that may be considered graphic or inappropriate to some individuals. Continue at your own risk. You have been warned. Ok.Thanks.Carry on. My aunt, my dad's sister, came to stay last night. She has never stayed the night before, in fact we haven't ever seen her too much, holidays and whatnot. Several times a year. She is a nice lady, but she has some issues, we'll leave it at that. My problem is this: as soon as we arrived home last night, around 9:30 at night, after being gone since 9 that morning, the moment we see each other, the first words out of her mouth are, "you're poor bunny rabbits are freezing to death out there!" Imagine my long exasperated sigh here. Having farm animals isn't the same as having pets. I think Jon Katz said it best in a post last week, "I can give them shelter, warm water, good hay, I cannot make them comfortable or keep them warm, they accept their lives." We raise rabbits