Skip to main content

ghosts


Several months ago we were walking into our favorite bar downtown, and the crowd of people was already overflowing onto the street. Just before stepping inside I passed a couple that seemed like ghosts to me. My heart stopped. She had inspired me to really start blogging, with her lovely posts and photographs. And he, well, he used to be my best friend.





We met on new years eve when I was 13, both awkward outcasts at a church event (probably more true of me than of him...) We shared a taste in music, in fact he introduced me to several of my favorites, like Ben Harper and Radiohead. We helped each other through the chaos that is puberty, starting highschool, and first dates.





I hadn't seen them in years. They live in another state. Time changes us all- but this was someone who helped me grow up, helped me survive, and I couldn't make eye contact. I couldn't smile. I couldn't say hello.





Living with social anxiety means that
 sometimes, everyday
you're a different person.

Sometimes being in a crowd of people,
or seeing someone from the past is exciting, 
other times it's absolutely paralyzing.





Until next time,
Angela Kelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

planting broccoli

Last year I was too late to start the early season plants, but not this time!  I even used my farmers almanac calender to plan the dates to start seeds!  I sure hope this broccoli grows!  It's like a little sneak peak of spring... Until next time, Angela Kelly

a few lessons in rabbit husbandry

We now have two years of experience under our belts raising rabbits. We have learned a lot of useful information already, but we are far from experts. That's the thing with farming, with raising animals, you will never be done learning. Bring it on. As of today we have 17 rabbits in our little group, and the more animals you have the more likely you are to have problems. Here are a few of ours: the girls The first problem we had is with the smallest litter we have, which we have had in a large dog crate on the grass. They are starting to get pretty big, and coming of age, they are starting to get a little frisky. This is bad news bears. I was out watching them and saw three boys ganging up on one girl, so in a hurry I fixed up a cage and moved her into it. She was visibly shaken, breathing quickly, her hair a mess with tufts pulled out (that was the first sign I saw that something was going on.) The next d...

a tribute to Zaphod

It has been nearly a month since the untimely death of our dearest kitty. It is late tonight, I cannot sleep and my mind is filled with grief and sorrow still. I have heard it said that loving animals is only setting oneself up for pain in the end. I may have believed it, but until now I have never felt it. Not to say that I have not lost a pet in the past, in fact several, but fortunately they had all lived long and happy lives before old age and illness took them away. This cannot be said for Zaphod. His life only lasted two short years, and it is the knowing he was meant to spend another decade with us that pains me the most.  We adopted Zaphod when he was only five weeks old, a tiny grey fuzz ball too small to eat. He refused a bottle or wet food, and we honestly worried he was not going to survive those first few days. After several trips to the vet for IV fluids and two weeks of force feeding, he accept a bowl of dry food for his first real meal, despite...