Skip to main content

writing and winning

Do you remember me mentioning that I'm taking horticulture classes?!

 Well, about two months ago I wrote an essay and applied for a scholarship through the Old Dominion Golf Course Superintendents Association, and I won. 

It's been nearly a decade since I wrote something of this nature, I am certainly (very very) out of practice, and to be chosen for a piece that feels close to my heart was incredibly gratifying. 

I want to share it with you now.

Disclaimer: includes the most cliche closing line of all time.

crocosmia blooming last summer

March 10th, 2012 was the first day I ever really worked outside. I'm not talking about mowing the lawn, or weeding the backyard garden. I'm talking about really working. The type of work that leaves your muscles feeling like jello. The type of work that challenges your mind and your sanity. The type of work that makes you want to scream, and cry, but when you finally make it through and your head touches the pillow you know that it was all worth it.  
I finished my coffee, tied my work boots, and stepped out onto the 117-acre farm holding my breathe. I was terrified. There were thousands of animals to be fed, and dozens of fences to be inspected, moved and mendedWe started with the rabbits. Then onto the sheep. Cows, goats, chickens, pigs, turkeys. The task of hauling them all water alone took a good part of the day. It was completely exhausting, but the air and the sunshine were invigorating. I loved it.  
That was the beginning of my yearlong internship at Tuckahoe Lamb and Cattle Company in Cartersville, Virginia.  It was an experience that taught me the struggles and rewards of a green career, working with nature, and battling the elements that go along with it. It challenged me in ways I never could have imagined, but also taught me an important lesson about myself; I am meant to work outdoors. 
Fast forward to March 1st, 2017. After spending four years trapped within the walls of bars, restaurants and country clubs, I started my dream job. I was offered the position of Horticulturist at Hunting Hills Country Club by Chuck Cooke, a former colleague from our time at Ballyhack Golf Club, where he was the Assistant Superintendent of the grounds and I was a Head Server in the clubhouse. I clearly remember those days, watching the guys work outside and longing to join them. With little knowledge and no substantial experience in the field, I found myself again, terrified. However, it was the opportunity of a lifetime for me to work outside again, and I dove in head first. My first month was rocky, to say the least. I struggled to start and operate power tools, I butchered several varieties of plants, and my puny waitress physique cried out for me to surrender.  
I had passion though. Hours after work were spent researching plants, pests, and diseases. Every flower bed was studied, plants identified, pruning methods discovered. also help the crew with many golf related tasks, such as setting tee markers, fixing ball marks, and aerification. I have learned an incredible amount of information already, but I am determined to learn more. I am now seeking higher education in the horticulture field to further my knowledge. This is a field of study that I am truly passionate about, and intend to spend the rest of my life pursuing. I hope that you will consider me for this scholarship because this truly is my dream come true.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

a new chapter

Things are changing around here.  I haven't even finished my cob series, but life just keeps getting in the way. Jonathan and I are currently looking for a new place to call home. Sometimes you have to accept that things aren't working, and do something different.  Unfortunately we are going to have to quit our farmers market. We are looking for homes for our animals, and selling off what we can. We will miss everyone so much, but his is a new chapter in our lives. We are excited about finding a place closer to our friends and family, where we can visit and hang out more often. We can't wait to have a house to call our own again, or an apartment, or whatever it may end up being. We haven't had a place all our own since we lived in the studio apartment just after getting back together. I think that was in 2010, whew! It hurts to have to start over, but we are trying not to be discouraged. We have confidence in ourselves and each other, and we're gonna be just fine

a tribute to Zaphod

It has been nearly a month since the untimely death of our dearest kitty. It is late tonight, I cannot sleep and my mind is filled with grief and sorrow still. I have heard it said that loving animals is only setting oneself up for pain in the end. I may have believed it, but until now I have never felt it. Not to say that I have not lost a pet in the past, in fact several, but fortunately they had all lived long and happy lives before old age and illness took them away. This cannot be said for Zaphod. His life only lasted two short years, and it is the knowing he was meant to spend another decade with us that pains me the most.  We adopted Zaphod when he was only five weeks old, a tiny grey fuzz ball too small to eat. He refused a bottle or wet food, and we honestly worried he was not going to survive those first few days. After several trips to the vet for IV fluids and two weeks of force feeding, he accept a bowl of dry food for his first real meal, despite my

moving to the country (sort of)

Sorry for the absence fine followers, what a busy few weeks it has been. We are moved and settled into our new home on the farm, enjoying the work and scenery, as well as the company of our hosts, Daniel and Emily, and our fellow intern and roommate, Alex. Our last week at home was busy with packing and spending as much time as possible with our dear friends and families. We miss them terribly already. And now, what I know you're all waiting for- pictures! Here's the (many many) highlights of our last week at home in the 540 and our first week here in the 804 (that's right, I'm speaking in area codes- sue me.) Part 1: You say goodbye... Penny threw us a very nice going away party before we left. Good times with friends and family all gathered together to say goodbye. We also had dinner with my family on the mountain, where Amy and I painted roses an