Skip to main content

a fancy dinner party

To celebrate my birthday this year I decided to host a dinner party. I created the menu, bought the groceries, and spent the whole day in the kitchen. Dinner parties have always been a passion for me, ever since I was in middle school. I loved getting out the fine china and dressing up for no reason. It feels nice.

Unfortunately, none of my friends could make it, but we still had a lovely dinner with family. It was a great night with the company of my favorite Amy, my parents, my sweetheart of course, and my uncle Mark, which was an unexpected and pleasant addition.

Dinner began with a salad of fresh romaine lettuce, strawberries, walnuts, and a blush wine vinaigrette. The appetizer was beautiful shrimp-kabobs with melon, pineapple, and peppers. The Mardi Gras inspired main course was roasted mandarin Cajun chicken, with jambalaya rice and grilled Cajun veggies. I also made a delicious champagne lemonade cocktail that will certainly be on my list for years to come.

The most extravagant menu item I made was the dessert, Tiramisu. It was the first time I have ever attempted the Italian dessert, and it was definitely a challenge! After substituting ingredients and altering the recipe slightly to fit my taste (and cabinets), I ended up with my own personal variation of Tiramisu, and everyone agreed it was quite delicious.

After dinner and coffee we all sat around and enjoyed a new 3D movie on my mom's new TV. It is huge. The movie was about the grand canyon, and the graphics were beautiful. It certainly exceeded my expectations for 3D television. Jonathan also got to try out a 3D game on his PS3, which was also very cool. I can't wait for more adventures, even if TV isn't my favorite hobby.

Everything said and done, it was a very nice day. I'm glad that it's only early Sunday morning, and I still have another day to relax with my sweetheart.























Until next time,
Angela Kelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

planting broccoli

Last year I was too late to start the early season plants, but not this time!  I even used my farmers almanac calender to plan the dates to start seeds!  I sure hope this broccoli grows!  It's like a little sneak peak of spring... Until next time, Angela Kelly

a few lessons in rabbit husbandry

We now have two years of experience under our belts raising rabbits. We have learned a lot of useful information already, but we are far from experts. That's the thing with farming, with raising animals, you will never be done learning. Bring it on. As of today we have 17 rabbits in our little group, and the more animals you have the more likely you are to have problems. Here are a few of ours: the girls The first problem we had is with the smallest litter we have, which we have had in a large dog crate on the grass. They are starting to get pretty big, and coming of age, they are starting to get a little frisky. This is bad news bears. I was out watching them and saw three boys ganging up on one girl, so in a hurry I fixed up a cage and moved her into it. She was visibly shaken, breathing quickly, her hair a mess with tufts pulled out (that was the first sign I saw that something was going on.) The next d...

a tribute to Zaphod

It has been nearly a month since the untimely death of our dearest kitty. It is late tonight, I cannot sleep and my mind is filled with grief and sorrow still. I have heard it said that loving animals is only setting oneself up for pain in the end. I may have believed it, but until now I have never felt it. Not to say that I have not lost a pet in the past, in fact several, but fortunately they had all lived long and happy lives before old age and illness took them away. This cannot be said for Zaphod. His life only lasted two short years, and it is the knowing he was meant to spend another decade with us that pains me the most.  We adopted Zaphod when he was only five weeks old, a tiny grey fuzz ball too small to eat. He refused a bottle or wet food, and we honestly worried he was not going to survive those first few days. After several trips to the vet for IV fluids and two weeks of force feeding, he accept a bowl of dry food for his first real meal, despite...