Skip to main content

thankful all year long

The holiday season is upon us. Thanksgiving was incredible this year, despite our family gathering being postponed to the weekend in order to include many important members (my dad and sister). This left us Thanksgiving day itself to visit Jonathan's family, and for the first time ever we enjoyed a holiday united as one. My mom and cousin Billy rode in with us, Dad and Wanda came over later in the evening for dinner, and Amy and Deacon stopped by as well. It really meant a  lot to us to have all of our family in one place on a holiday. We love you all so very much. I couldn't thank Mike and Penny enough for having us all. 









 


I have been just awful at keeping up with the social media world as of late, time and energy being devoted instead to real life relationships and activities. This is all well and good, but I do miss sharing. And speaking of sharing- I feel that I have failed to share anything truly personal and meaningful in quite some time. I want this to be a place that displays my life, creativity, and struggles, but also my beliefs and views now and then, when it's appropriate. This is especially true in the area of farming and eating, with us paying such true attention to our diets now a days, and enjoying the knowledge of eating local food (meats in particular). That is for another time, but I do plan to get on it soon!

Until next time,
Angela Kelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

planting broccoli

Last year I was too late to start the early season plants, but not this time!  I even used my farmers almanac calender to plan the dates to start seeds!  I sure hope this broccoli grows!  It's like a little sneak peak of spring... Until next time, Angela Kelly

a tribute to Zaphod

It has been nearly a month since the untimely death of our dearest kitty. It is late tonight, I cannot sleep and my mind is filled with grief and sorrow still. I have heard it said that loving animals is only setting oneself up for pain in the end. I may have believed it, but until now I have never felt it. Not to say that I have not lost a pet in the past, in fact several, but fortunately they had all lived long and happy lives before old age and illness took them away. This cannot be said for Zaphod. His life only lasted two short years, and it is the knowing he was meant to spend another decade with us that pains me the most.  We adopted Zaphod when he was only five weeks old, a tiny grey fuzz ball too small to eat. He refused a bottle or wet food, and we honestly worried he was not going to survive those first few days. After several trips to the vet for IV fluids and two weeks of force feeding, he accept a bowl of dry food for his first real meal, despite...

a few lessons in rabbit husbandry

We now have two years of experience under our belts raising rabbits. We have learned a lot of useful information already, but we are far from experts. That's the thing with farming, with raising animals, you will never be done learning. Bring it on. As of today we have 17 rabbits in our little group, and the more animals you have the more likely you are to have problems. Here are a few of ours: the girls The first problem we had is with the smallest litter we have, which we have had in a large dog crate on the grass. They are starting to get pretty big, and coming of age, they are starting to get a little frisky. This is bad news bears. I was out watching them and saw three boys ganging up on one girl, so in a hurry I fixed up a cage and moved her into it. She was visibly shaken, breathing quickly, her hair a mess with tufts pulled out (that was the first sign I saw that something was going on.) The next d...