Skip to main content

getaway part four - the caves

welcome

On our way home we stopped at the Grand Caverns for a quick tour. It was absolutely breathtaking, and a great finale to our trip. My favorite part was the ballroom, where in the 1800's fancy parties would be held deep within the caves. Apparently they have a reenactment every June, that would be so very cool.


 

 
they turned all the lights off before revealing this hallway, where we saw this shadowy figure glowing at the end


The first picture there is a real photo of the ball taking place in the caverns. They had bands, food, tons of candles, and even little dressing rooms for the ladies. What a sight.

they recently discovered another section of the cavern which covers 70% of this map

It was a great way to end our vacation. Beautiful and romantic.

Until next time,

Angela Kelly

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

planting broccoli

Last year I was too late to start the early season plants, but not this time!  I even used my farmers almanac calender to plan the dates to start seeds!  I sure hope this broccoli grows!  It's like a little sneak peak of spring... Until next time, Angela Kelly

a few lessons in rabbit husbandry

We now have two years of experience under our belts raising rabbits. We have learned a lot of useful information already, but we are far from experts. That's the thing with farming, with raising animals, you will never be done learning. Bring it on. As of today we have 17 rabbits in our little group, and the more animals you have the more likely you are to have problems. Here are a few of ours: the girls The first problem we had is with the smallest litter we have, which we have had in a large dog crate on the grass. They are starting to get pretty big, and coming of age, they are starting to get a little frisky. This is bad news bears. I was out watching them and saw three boys ganging up on one girl, so in a hurry I fixed up a cage and moved her into it. She was visibly shaken, breathing quickly, her hair a mess with tufts pulled out (that was the first sign I saw that something was going on.) The next d...

a tribute to Zaphod

It has been nearly a month since the untimely death of our dearest kitty. It is late tonight, I cannot sleep and my mind is filled with grief and sorrow still. I have heard it said that loving animals is only setting oneself up for pain in the end. I may have believed it, but until now I have never felt it. Not to say that I have not lost a pet in the past, in fact several, but fortunately they had all lived long and happy lives before old age and illness took them away. This cannot be said for Zaphod. His life only lasted two short years, and it is the knowing he was meant to spend another decade with us that pains me the most.  We adopted Zaphod when he was only five weeks old, a tiny grey fuzz ball too small to eat. He refused a bottle or wet food, and we honestly worried he was not going to survive those first few days. After several trips to the vet for IV fluids and two weeks of force feeding, he accept a bowl of dry food for his first real meal, despite...